Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Better late than never. Goals for 2013.

Well, it's halfway through January and I have finally decided on a couple of goals that I want to achieve in the upcoming year. Thanks to my busy mind that never turns off, pinterest and my constant urge to organize something I have a million goals that will probably never happen. However, I have narrowed it down to 2 obtainable goals that I can focus most of my energy on.

1. Getting back on track with my fitness goals.
  This time last year I was doing so well! I was at the gym 5 nights a week, I had completely stopped drinking pop and the pounds and inches were melting away. I loved the results I was getting and I have never felt better about myself. Towards the end of the summer I decided to stop going to the gym because I just couldn't justify spending the insane amount of money it was costing every month. I thought I could just work out at home, save the money, and get the same results. Fast forward 6 months and I've only worked out a handful of times. When I'm home I am mom. There is always someone wanting my attention,someone needing something, someone getting into something,laundry to be done, dishes to be loaded, meals to be cooked and floors to be vacuumed. Even if I try to set aside 30 minutes to work out, the chances of it being uninterrupted are almost non-existent. Don't get me wrong, I love my job as a mom and wife, but I find it almost impossible to step out of those roles and do something for me. I'm not making excuses. That's just how it is.
  When I started going to the gym I found myself eager and excited to go. Not because I love spending 30 leg burning minutes on the elliptical or doing squats, lunges and crunches, but because when I stepped into the gym I was me. I wasn't mommy,wife,chef,chauffeur or laundry folder. I was Shanon and I was doing something for myself. For an entire hour I didn't think about anything else. It was my therapy. When I would get done I would be so exhausted, but I would feel so good about myself. In turn, I believe it made me a better mom and wife.
  Also, working out and eating healthy go hand in hand for me. When I work out I am much more disciplined with my eating because I don't want all of that hard work to go to waste. By no means do I deprive myself, but I certainly think twice before indulging.
  Finally, the last reason for this goal is to set an example for my girls. I want to show them a healthy lifestyle. I want them to grow up with a healthy self image. When they're grown I don't want them to have memories of their mom complaining about her weight or eating herself into obesity. I want them to remember sitting down at the table with me and eating healthy meals. I want them to remember going on walks, playing at the park and just being active with me. I want them to know that the number on the scale does not matter.I don't want them to believe that their self worth is not based on what they see on TV and read in magazines. I want them to grow up have a happy, healthy and active lifestyle.

2. Expand and organize my recipe box.
  In the 7 1/2 years that the hubs and I have been married, my cooking has definitely come a looooong way. I'm very proud of how far I've come, but I feel like I'm in a bit of a rut. I seems like we have the same meals over and over and over. So, this year my goal is to try 1 new recipe every week. In addition, I would also like to organize all of my recipes in a way that is easy to plan and rotate meals. I plan on doing a weekly post of the recipe I tried for that week. I'll also do a post when I find a good way to organize them. Suggestions are greatly apprecitated :)

So that's it. Seems doable, right? Please feel free to hold me accountable:)

No comments:

Post a Comment