Friday, January 18, 2013

New Recipe Week 1

  So this was the first week of my goal to try 1 new recipe every week. This week I chose a Crockpot Honey Apple Pork Loin. I'm not really sure why I chose this recipe. Other than bacon, I'm not a huge fan of pork. Thanks to an unfortunate experience in the OSU Student Union Food Court I have a fear of consuming undercooked pork. So every time I attempt a recipe it always ends up being really dry because I've overcooked it. The Hubs really likes a non-dry pork loin and the ingredients in this recipe appealed to me so I gave it a try.

The verdict: Just so-so. It did have a really good taste. I was a little worried it would be really sweet, but it wasn't at all. But...it was dry :( The original recipe did not call for any liquid to be added. I made some gravy to put on top and it helped. Next time I will definitely add some apple cider and maybe marinate it overnight.

I will give it another shot in a couple of months. If it comes out not so dry, I'll definitely add it to my rotation!

Crockpot Honey Apple Pork Loin  
original recipe can be found here.

I forgot to take picture...sorry :)

Ingredients:

  • Pork Loin (I used 1lb.)
  • 2-3 Red Delicious Apples, sliced
  • Honey
  • Cinnamon

Prep: There is next to no prep time with this recipe. Other than having to touch the meat I didn't mind it at all. Slice 2 apples and put them in the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle with GOOD cinnamon. Next, cut slits in the pork loin about ever 1/2 to 1 inch. Drizzle honey into each slit and push a slice of apple into each slit. Place the pork loin in the crockpot on top of the apples. Drizzle honey on top of entire loin and sprinkle with more cinnamon.

Cook: Cook on Low for 6-7 hours and enjoy the amazing smell all day. Do NOT remove the lid when cooking! (If you use a bigger cut of meat, it shouldn't change the cook time much)




No comments:

Post a Comment