Monday, December 10, 2012

Like a Child

As a parent, one of the most rewarding parts about having children is seeing the world through their eyes. Little things that we take for granted or hardly notice are so exciting and new for a small child.  For a VERY short time they just accept and/or believe what they see and hear. Their pure innocence does not allow them to question "why" or "how". They just believe.

At our church for the past 2 weeks we have been studying the attributes of God through the eyes of a child. This series has really been speaking to my heart. So much of the time, at least for me, we try to make having a relationship with God so much more complicated than it is. We feel we have to pray a certain way or act a certain way. If we feel like our prayers/actions/works aren't up to a certain standard we feel distant from God and the more distant we feel the less we try to become closer to Him. As a Christian, I know that even if I did all of those things perfectly, I would not be deserving of His grace and mercy. But I still can't help but feel like I can't get close enough to Him because I'm just not good enough.

When you tell a child that God is always with them they just believe. They don't feel like they have to do certain things to keep him there and when they make mistakes they don't think he has left them. When you tell a child that God will always forgive their mistakes they without question believe and fully accept His grace and mercy. When they pray they talk to Him like their talking to their best friend. They don't feel they need to use big or fancy words. They don't feel like they have to pray for a certain amount of time. They say what is on their heart and that's it.

My heart needed this message. A great reminder to stop making things so complicated. Just be with Him. Just talk to Him. And most importantly for me, just receive Him. No, I don't deserve it, but His grace and mercy are endless. God wants to bless us if we will just stop doubting and questioning Him and have that child-like faith.

Just believe.

If you don't have a church home I would love to invite you to Life Church. No matter where you are you can listen to all of the messages here.


No comments:

Post a Comment